I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Parkit Market (Dallas, TX)




There are several restaurants, etc. nearby my apartment that for some reason have eluded me for years. My wife and I have been making a concerted effort to try all of them out during our remaining time in Dallas. I recently discovered that the Parkit Market's deli serves a barbecue sandwich, and although I wasn't expecting much, I was determined to eat it.


By the look of things, the keg sales and convenience store aspects of the Parkit Market seem to comprise the vast majority of their business. The deli remains unstaffed until they have a customer waiting to order. According to the signage out front, the Parkit Market deli has been serving up sandwiches since 1962, and I hoped that much history would translate into halfway decent food. That being said, I approached the situation with only cautious optimism.


First Attempt

I know it's just a mom-and-pop operation here, but we were the only customers at the deli and the service was still excruciatingly slow. Rather than taking our whole order at once, "Pop" decided to make my wife's entire sandwich before even asking what I wanted. I ordered their Homemade B.B.Q. on a Bun, only to be told that he didn't have barbecue today. Sadly, I had to settle for a Ham, Salami, and Cheese Sub.


This was the tiniest little sandwich I've eaten in a while, even though it cost me $4.79 plus tax. FYI, my chips were extra. The sub bun was still cold, meaning that they most likely refrigerate their bread to extend its shelf-life instead of giving customers fresh food. If I'm going to pay five bucks for a sandwich, at least give me a fresh bun. Needless to say, the sandwich was nothing special and really isn't worth describing in detail.

My wife's Chicken Bacon Cheese sandwich was equally as bad. Hers was a "hot sandwich," which apparently meant using the microwave to heat the chicken, and then again to melt the cheese. It was incredible dry by the time all was said and done.

Things were not looking good for my barbecue sandwich.

Second Attempt

My first go-round with the Parkit Market was at lunchtime on a Sunday, so I decided to see if a Thursday afternoon would produce more favorable results on the barbecue front. This time I ended up with the "Mom" in the mom-and-pop duo. She was much friendlier and dolled out much faster service than I'd received from Pop.

There was no need to peruse the menu. I once again ordered their Homemade B.B.Q. on a Bun, and I was in luck today, at least as far as availability goes. Mom asked if I wanted either relish or hot sauce on my sandwich, but I declined since neither option seemed appropriate for barbecue. Coleslaw yes, relish no.


I unwrapped my sandwich at home, and it looked absolutely disgusting. It was far from being chopped beef, but more like a glob of shredded beef (I hoped), akin to a Sloppy Joe or a Manwich. There was no sauce drizzled on top, so perhaps this was the "hot sauce" I was offered at the start. The meat, if you can even call it that, was greasy and extremely mushy with way too much salt. There was a hint of spiciness in the meat, though I'm not sure about the source. It reminded me of Old El Paso taco seasoning. I couldn't bring myself to eat more than a few bites before tossing it in the trash. Sad as it is to say, I actually wish they had been out of barbecue again today.

My entire ordeal with the Parkit Market ended up being a complete waste of time, energy, and money.

**********

Parkit Market
4724 Greenville Ave
Suite A
Dallas, TX 75206
(214) 363-4907
http://www.theparkitmarket.com/

Parkit Market on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment