I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Lefty's Colorado Trail Grille (Denver, CO)




I generally have a rule against eating airport barbecue, mostly because there's no possibility of the meat being properly smoked on-site. That being said, I wasn't in the mood for fast food or Chinese, so Lefty's Colorado Trail Grille would have to do.

BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Que Bar-B-Q Denver Colorado

There are several Lefty's options scattered through the Denver airport, although only Lefty's Colorado Trail Grille can be found within Concourse A. Regardless of my skepticism for the quality of their food, it was nice to sit down for a while, especially with an hour and a half until our flight. Lefty's had a small bar area, but was otherwise just the average airport functionality you might expect. On a side note, there was no way I was paying $5.50 for a Coors Light when the airport is literally 30 miles from the Coors brewery in Golden, making the transportation costs almost nil. Take your price gouging elsewhere.

BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Que Bar-B-Q Denver Colorado

Despite my better judgment, I ordered their Pork Sliders: 4 buns of chopped pork and barbecue sauce. I also tacked on an order of fried Onion Rings for good measure.

BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Que Bar-B-Q Denver Colorado

As expected, the onion rings were clearly not homemade. They weren't terrible, but frozen onion rings can only go so far. I was supposed to receive a side of ranch for dipping, which I only got once I reminded the waiter about it. Things were not starting off well, but I moved on to the Pork Sliders anyway.

BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Que Bar-B-Q Denver Colorado

The fact that the menu listed them as "pork sliders" rather than something like "bbq sliders" or "bbq pork sliders" did not bode well. The buns themselves looked good but were ice cold, so I cast them aside and ate the pork solo. The meat actually ended up being pulled pork, not chopped as advertised. I'm not complaining about pulled pork, I just wish they could figure out what it is they're actually serving. All four buns were piled high with meat, though quantity can't make up for quality. I wouldn't really describe the pork as tender, more mushy like a sloppy joe or nursing home meatloaf. The sauce tasted mostly like ketchup with vinegar. As you can probably guess, there was no smoke to be found anywhere. I'm not even sure I would call this barbecue.

Just before we decided to eat at Lefty's Colorado Trail Grille, my wife suggested that we just eat ice cream for dinner instead. As usual, she was right.

**********

Lefty's Colorado Trail Grille
Denver International Airport
Concourse A (near Gate A46)
8500 Pena Blvd.
Denver, CO 80249
(303) 342-7177
http://www.flydenver.com/fooddetails?URI=tcm:8-524

Lefty's Colorado Trails Bar and Grille on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment