I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Roly Poly (Dallas, TX)




My wife and I used to pick up dinner from Roly Poly quite regularly when they were open until 8:00, but not so much now that they close at 6:00. The last time we ate there, I didn't notice their barbecue sandwich until it was too late and we were already walking out the door. A rolled barbecue sandwich seemed like a good quick option for lunch today.

Roly Poly Sandwiches Dallas DFW Barbecue Barbeque BBQ Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Mockingbird

Roly Poly has only a mere two tables and five barstools inside, plus another few tables outside. Basically, this is a place best suited for to-go orders. There are only about three employees working here at any given time, so it takes an unusually long time to get a simple rolled sandwich.

Roly Poly Sandwiches Dallas DFW Barbecue Barbeque BBQ Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Mockingbird

In addition to their standard menu, Roly Poly also offers daily specials, although those don't seem to rotate too often. The sandwich I had my eye on was still on their list of specials from last week. Undaunted, I ordered the #41 Barbeque Pork Melt. Per the menu description, this sandwich consists of smoked pork tenderloin, melted cheddar and jalapeno jack cheese, bacon, barbecue sauce, and onion with a side of ranch dressing.

Roly Poly Sandwiches Dallas DFW Barbecue Barbeque BBQ Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Mockingbird

My initial reaction was disappointment at the sliced deli pork I found. The barbecue sauce had a good sweetness to it, and I enjoyed the crunch of the onions. I noticed a slight spiciness from the jalapeno jack cheese, though not as much as I was expecting. The cheddar, however, just sort of blended into the background. Sadly, the bacon was also entirely unnoticeable. The thinly sliced pork was fairly tender, but was so thin that any hint of smoke was entirely lost. My side of ranch dressing made no sense with the barbecue sandwich, so I didn't even bother with it.

I usually order a #53 Chicken Popper sandwich, and I think I'll be sticking to that from now on. Roly Poly offers up some pretty tasty sandwiches in general, but sadly fails on the barbecue front.

**********

Roly Poly
3038 Mockingbird Ln
Dallas, TX 75205
(214) 363-0522
http://www.rolypoly.com/

Roly Poly Sandwiches on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment