I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Friday, August 2, 2013

Al's Place BBQ (Cuney, TX)




Cuney, Texas isn't one of those places you'd think to look for barbecue. Actually, with its population of 145 residents, you'd be hard-pressed to even know it existed. I saw Al's Place BBQ by the roadside and decided to make it my final barbecue stop on the long drive home to Dallas.

Al's Place BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Cuney Texas Brisket Sandwich

Cuney, Texas has only a handful of businesses visible from the highway, about 80% of which are liquor stores. Al's Place is little more than a small shack set out in the grass and dirt just off the main road. The guys operating it (Al, I presume) were mostly just hanging out, having a good time waiting to see if any customers would show up.

I ordered a Sliced Beef Sandwich and traipsed back to my truck to unwrap my snack.

Al's Place BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Cuney Texas Brisket Sandwich

Al's Place BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Q Bar-B-Que Cuney Texas Brisket Sandwich

My sandwich came wrapped in tin foil and stuffed into a grease-stained paper bag. I was a little disappointed to find the massive amount of brisket smashed between two slices of soggy, sauce-soaked white bread. Luckily, I keep a few plastic forks in my truck for just such a purpose, so I discarded the bread and dug in.

I couldn't see any bark or smoke ring on this brisket. There was no smoke, and hardly any seasoning. Even salt would be a luxury here. The barbecue sauce was watery and not very flavorful. The meat itself was akin to a flimsy pot roast, with a weird skin on the edges where the crust should have been. It was pretty gross, and I stopped eating after only three bites.

Saddened by my snack, I popped into a Dairy Queen in the next town over to rinse the taste of the brisket out of my mouth with a smoothie. Sorry, Al.

**********

Al's Place BBQ
Highway 175
Cuney, TX 75759

Al's Place BBQ on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment