I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dickey's Barbecue Pit #2 (Dallas, TX)




Every so often, Dickey's invents new menu items to try and drum up business, much the same way that McDonald's does. Nevertheless, their new Buttery Cornbread BBQ Sandwiches sounded interesting, so I thought I'd give Dickey's another shot. This time I decided to try out their Uptown branch on McKinney Ave to see if I'd have better luck there.


This Dickey's is located inside a gas station/convenience store. Their website asserts that each branch smokes their meat on-site, though I'm not quite sure where you'll find the smoker here. I didn't wander around back, so who knows. There is a small dining area inside, but it obviously has no ambiance to it. It seemed more appropriate to just get my food to-go.



The slogan on Dickey's ad for the two different Buttery Cornbread Sandwiches reads: "The Choice is Yours." I didn't really have enough information to choose, so I did the only logical thing and ordered both the Texas Pete Spicy Chicken and the Sweet Pulled Pork. Each sandwich comes topped with a slice of cheddar cheese, although I opted out of the pickles and onions. I didn't necessarily want the cheddar either, but I did want to sample these sandwiches as they were intended.


I started with the pulled pork so as not to ruin my palate. There was a decent smoke ring on a few of the pieces. That being said, there was no smoky flavor and the meat was altogether pretty bland. It was decently tender at least. The combination of sugar-laden cornbread and sweet barbecue sauce was tasty enough, but seemed a tad redundant. The cornbread itself was slightly dry, though not overly so. I didn't mind the cheddar, but it sort of just faded into the background. It certainly wasn't the sandwich I was hoping for.

Next up was the spicy chicken sandwich. I caught a few sauceless pieces, which had decent seasoning but no smoke either. Even the seasoning I did find tasted more like the type you'd find on rotisserie chicken. The big chunks of sliced white meat chicken were rather dry. Perhaps pulled dark meat would have been a better choice. The cheese didn't really add anything to the sandwich other than a gooey texture. There was certainly some spiciness to the sauce, but it was still fairly tame by Texas standards.

Dickey's to-go bags have the words "hickory smoked" written all over them. I've tried four different menu items from two different locations, and I have yet to find even a hint of smoke.

**********

Dickey's Barbecue Pit
2324 McKinney Ave
Dallas, TX 75201
(469) 248-3149
http://www.dickeys.com/

Dickey's Barbecue Pit on Urbanspoon

Dickey's Barbecue Pit

No comments:

Post a Comment