I'm making it my personal mission to single-handedly eat my way across the nation, one delicious animal at a time.

Fire up the pit, here I come!!!!!

Search The Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Peggy Sue BBQ (Dallas, TX)




My first day back at work after a long Christmas holiday was an exceptionally stressful one, so I was in need of some serious barbecue therapy. Peggy Sue BBQ was on my route home, so I stopped by to pick up some good smoked meat.

Peggy Sue BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Q Dallas

Peggy Sue's is located in Snider Plaza, just a block or two from Southern Methodist University in Dallas. The restaurant is fairly small as far as seating goes, but that's pretty typical for most restaurants in the Plaza. The inside is decorated with a spot-on cowboy motif: old black and white photos, assorted western and cowboy decor, and even a Henry rifle mounted over the salad bar. You also end up with a great smoke smell from the pit.

I hadn't eaten all day, so I ordered up an immense meat feast. I ended up with a three-meat Full Meal with fatty sliced brisket (I had the option for lean or fatty, so not really a tough decision), sausage, and pulled pork, with Sweet Potater Tots and Hoppin' John on the side. I also added some gooey peach cobbler for dessert to round things off. I got my order to go, and the smell of delicious smoke had me salivating the whole drive home.

Peggy Sue BBQ Barbecue Barbeque Bar-B-Que Dallas Brisket Sausage Pork

Let's start with some descriptions just so everyone is on the same page. The Sweet Potater Tots are just what they sound like: tater tots made from sweet potatoes. My tots were crispy and sweet, with just the right amount of salt for seasoning. The Hoppin' John, however, needs a little more explanation. The menu lists this side as "an old south favorite of black eyed peas and seasoned rice," but that really doesn't do the Hoppin' John justice. Essentially, you've got black eyed peas, rice, and celery in a broth, which made it almost like a black eyed pea gumbo. These two were a surprisingly tasty change from the usual barbecue sides, and I was definitely in need of black eyed peas to give me good luck in the new year.

As for the meat, I started my chow down with the sausage. It was smokey and full of spice, and the casing had a great snap to it. There were nice big peppercorns visible in each slice, and there was plenty of flavor to go around. The pulled pork was just a little dry and didn't have too much flavor, so this is where Peggy Sue's homemade bbq sauce came in handy. The sauce had a tangy vinegar base, which I usually prefer to some of other overly-sweet sauces out there. It also had a nice kick on the back end. The brisket was spectacularly juicy and tender, probably because I selected a fatty cut over the lean. I must have gotten mine sliced from the center of the brisket though, so I missed out on having any charred edges.

I was pretty full by this point, but I had already committed myself to the peach cobbler, and I wasn't going down without a fight. It was warm and gooey and just what I needed on a cold winter day. I wish there had been a little bit of streusel mixed in or sprinkled on top to give it a little texture change, but all in all the peach cobbler was an excellent palate cleanser.

If you're in the neighborhood, or if you're a coed in need of a study break, Peggy Sue's is a great place to score some tasty barbecue.

**********

Peggy Sue BBQ
6600 Snider Plaza
Dallas, TX 75205
(214) 987-9188
http://www.peggysuebbq.com

Peggy Sue BBQ on Urbanspoon

Peggy Sue BBQ

No comments:

Post a Comment